NPI’s industry partners work closely with local schools through hosting student groups and putting on career fairs to acquaint students with STEM-related career opportunities at their plants. They also regularly invite local science teachers to learn more about nuclear energy so that they can use that knowledge in their classrooms. As part of NPI’s training programs, groups of shareholders, senior executives, and other participants visit these facilities to experience nuclear and other large industrial plants first-hand.
STP, located southwest of Bay City, Texas, is one of the newest and largest nuclear power facilities in the U.S. The two units produce 2700 megawatts of carbon-free electricity to two million Texas homes.
Comanche Peak, located in Glen Rose, Texas, is a two-unit nuclear power plant with an operating capacity of 2300 megawatts. The plant has approximately 1200 employees and is operated by Luminant Generation, a subsidiary of Energy Future Holdings.
Phillips 66 is a leading independent company with refining, marketing, midstream and chemicals businesses operating across the globe. The Phillips 66 installations on the Texas coast are very active in NPI programs.
News for Industry
- Palacios POWER SET Visits South Texas Project - On Thursday, October 12th, Palacios POWER SET visited the South Texas Project to tour the training facility, simulator, and reservoir, as well as meet with their mentors. POWER SET members are mentored by professional women who work in a variety of fields and departments at STP. Group picture L to R, Back row: Carmen Serrato, […]
- Palacios High School POWER SET Inducts New Members - On Monday, September 25th, 9 new members of POWER SET at Palacios High School were inducted for the 2017-2018 school year, bringing the total for this school year to 27 members. Ms. Kathleen Van Daalen, a Licensing Engineer and Health Physicist interacting with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission at STP, was the guest speaker for the […]
- Palacios POWER SET Attends STP Career Event and Visits Phillips 66 Corporate Office - May has been a busy month for the Palacios High School POWER SET group. On May 4th, members attended STP’s Career Event where members from many of the local POWER SET and WIT groups were able to collaborate to build a Rubes Goldberg machine and then were given the opportunity to meet with STP employees […]
- Nuclear Power Institute Hosted STEM Family Night at Granbury High School - Granbury High School’s WIT and POWER SET students hosted the 1st STEM Family Night on April 10th, 2017. The event, sponsored by the Nuclear Power Institute (NPI), highlighted fun, educational, and interactive STEM activities. STEM Family Night is an exciting event designed to ignite an interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM). The event […]
- STP Mentors Have Breakfast with Palacios POWER SET - On Thursday, January 12th, mentors from the South Texas Project Nuclear Operating Company (STP) traveled to Palacios High School and enjoyed a potluck breakfast provided by POWER SET. Members were able to sit down and visit with their mentors while enjoying breakfast.
See More Industry News