NPI’s System Engineering Initiative (SEI) Program is focused on providing an enhanced education experience through applied engineering practice in an interdisciplinary and multilevel environment. The goals of the program are to attract, retain and enhance the education of engineering students including those from underrepresented groups for successful careers in engineering and in particular, the nuclear industry. The SEI approach is to create an interdisciplinary and multilevel team (from freshman to senior level) where students learn both outside their majors and above their skill levels. Upper classmen and graduate students provide mentorship that is essential to engage and retain these students.
Each project requires expertise from multiple engineering majors and is mentored, in addition to the graduate student, by a faculty engineer and an industry engineer. The SEI program also involves outreach activities that expose K-I2 students to engineering careers and professional development through presentations to industry in professional forums such as the American Nuclear Society Topical Meeting and the International Conference on Nuclear Engineering.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO STUDENTS?
- Valuable experience working on real world engineering problems.
- Understanding of multidisciplinary research, working with other engineering majors.
- Team building and communication skills.
- Interaction with graduate students, faculty experts, and industry seasoned mentors.
- Opportunities to participate in research competitions, regional, national, and international conferences.
- Financial compensation—a sliding scale based on successful participation.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS TO INDUSTRY?
- Development of new talent through interaction on real engineering work of interest to the industry sponsor.
- Creating strong relationships with potential new hires in the course of mentoring the project.
- Development of closer ties to the Nuclear Power Institute and Texas A&M University.
- High quality technical output in support sponsor needs.
For more information, contact Dr. Cable Kurwitz | (979) 845-6126.
“The experiences and opportunities I have had with SEI have been amazing in contributing to my academic success and preparing me for a career. I have a significant amount of job opportunities in front of me, and can honestly say that SEI has been a major contributing factor in landing these. At interviews, I tend to speak more about my experiences at SEI than my two internships combined. The breadth and depth of knowledge the program has given me has been a wonderful supplement to my course work.” – SEI Student