Workforce Industry Training (WIT)
NPI’s Workforce Industry Training (WIT) program is for high school students who are interested in expanding their knowledge and understanding of careers in STEM. More specifically, the purpose of WIT is to mentor, encourage, and prepare students for STEM-rich programs at universities, two-year technical colleges, and technician certificate programs. By participating in WIT, students gain exposure to higher education and career opportunities through a series of six funded field trips per year while building the confidence to consider further STEM education. This confidence comes from the knowledge and familiarity students gain from their WIT experiences.
WIT students can participate in activities such as:
- Enjoy mentoring activities by industry professionals.
- Visit STEM industries to gain awareness and develop preparation.
- Hear from and meet professional guest speakers.
- Take part in professional development activities.
- Visit universities and community colleges.
- Participate in community engagement and mentoring activities.
“Being a part of WIT, I have had the privilege to both witness and experience the effectiveness of the mentor program … We have learned from people who were in similar situations as us years ago, and we have been able to gather tips from them that will help us overcome obstacles in our future. I admire the mentors’ sacrifice of time to pour into the next generation the knowledge, insight and work ethic that they have.”
–Glen Rose High School WIT member
2018-2019 vs. 2019-2020 Program Comparison